‘We don’t develop courage by being happy every day. We develop it by surviving tough times and challenging adversity.’ Intelligence is a deadly weapon when it is backed up by the will to take on the crooked. BJP firebrand leader & world-renowned economist Subramanian Swamy has had the conviction to challenge some of the most corrupt political leaders in the history of Indian Politics. Swamy, a five-time MP and a two-time Union Minister, has given many leaders from the UPA regime sleepless nights. From fighting the Gandhi Parivar to exposing ex Home Minister, P Chidambaram, Swamy has effectively played the role of an anti-corruption battler.
Swamy played a very important role in exposing the 2G scam during the UPA regime, which lead to the arrest of former Telecom Minister A Raja. We’ve seen him hammering the opposition in news debates & the upper house of the parliament. Let’s take a look at 10 things that you may not know about Swamy- the One Man Army.
- It was Swamy’s effort in 1981 that helped Hindu devotees get an access to the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra. His meeting with China’s then paramount leader Deng Xiaoping brought things back to normal and the pilgrimage route was re-opened.
- Swamy was the Union Minister of Commerce & Law during the period of 1990-91. He was also a member of the Planning Commission. The blueprint of the landmark economic reforms was prepared by him, when ChandraShekhar Singh was the PM. The document was carried out by then Finance Minister Dr Manmohan Singh after PV Narasimha Rao became the Prime Minister.
- Swami exposed the 2G scam under the UPA regime which caused a loss of Rs 1.76 Lakh crore to the national exchequer, according to a CAG report. Swami wrote to ex PM Manmohan Singh seeking permission to prosecute the then Telecom Minister A Raja. He moved the apex court after Manmohan Singh did not take any action.
- There was a national crisis in 2004. Sonia Gandhi was all set to become the first Italian Prime Minister of India, until Swami intervened. Swamy had written a letter to the then President, DR APJ Abdul Kalam to persuade Sonia not to become the PM. However, Kalam later denied Swamy’s claims.
- Swamy is probably the only Indian leader to have constantly taken the task of exposing the embezzlements carried out by the Gandhi Parivar. He has questioned Sonia’s identity, Rahul’s qualification & even called Priyanka a drunkard. Swamy also dragged the Gandhis to court in the National Herald proprietorship scam. Swamy accused the Gandhis of setting up new company Young India Company to pay the debts using Congress’ party funds.
- Swamy managed to escape from India during the emergency. He flew to Colombo & then to USA. On a working day in Parliament Swamy dared to step-in the parliament, donning a Sikh turban he managed to flee India. An arrest warrant had been issued against him, had he stayed back, we would have lost one of the strongest leaders.
- Subramanian Swamy had a perfect academic record. He completed his PhD in two and a half years at the age of 24, backed by a complete Rockefeller scholarship.
- Harvard University dropped two summer economic courses taught by Swamy from its curriculum after swami proposed to deprive Indian Muslims from voting unless they acknowledged their Hindu Ancestry.
- Among the several papers published by Swamy, one was co-authored with Paul Samuelson, the first American to win the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences. The paper was published on the theory of Index numbers in 1974.
- Swami is considered to be an authority on the Chinese economy & comparative analysis between India & China. He absorbed mandarin (Chinese) in just 3 months. Someone had challenged him to learn the language within one year.
A man of great intellect, Swamy has always showed the will to persist against the wrong. His unmatched accomplishments in diverse fields separate him from the herd.
Tony Joseph **