Is this a gimmick created for the upcoming elections to shift attention from much talked about “˜Gunda Raj”™?
Although the friction in party can be seen from the time UP SP government has formed but most recently we have seen some major events. The tug of war started on Tuesday when Akhilesh Yadav sacked the chief secretary Deepak Singhal, which is believed to be close to Shivpal Yadav. In the next move Mulayam Singh, father of Akhilesh Yadav replaced him with his younger brother Shivpal Yadav for the Samajwadi Party”™s Chief position. In return, Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav from all ministerial responsibilities except social welfare departmentÂ .
Following are the events in chronological order:
- Dec 2015– Sacking and reinstating Akhilesh Loyalist : Two of the Akhilesh close aides – Sunil Yadav and Anand Bhadauria – were expelled for anti-party activities by Shivpal. Frustrated CM boycotted the Saifai Festival until the two were taken back into the party.
- June 2016– Merger and separation of Quami ekta dal with Samajwadi Party: Shivpal Yadav first announced the merger of Quami ekta dal with Samajwadi Party. The SP was hoping that the merger will help them to tap the Muslim vote bank in eastern Uttar Pradesh especially in Ghazipur, Mau and Varanasi.
But after Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav put his foot down, Samajwadi Party called off its merger with gangster-turned-politician Mukhtar Ansari’s party just after three days. Mukhtar Ansari was lodged in Agra jail in connection with killing of BJP legislator Krishnanand Rai in 2005.
He also removed Mr Balram Yadav, who facilitated the merger(which later re-inducted into the party) and was quite upset with Prisons Minister Balwant Ramoowalia, who had reportedly ordered Mukhtar Ansari’s transfer from Agra prison to Lucknow jail.
- July 2016– Shivpal selection over Akhilesh choice for Chief Secretary”˜s position– After Alok Ranjan’s term ended, Agricultural Production Commissioner Pravir Kumar has been made the acting chief secretary for the interim period, he enjoyed a good image but had some rift with senior minister Azam Khan. He was also very close to Akhilesh Yadav. But Shivpal Yadav selected Mr Singhal who was earlier Principal Secretary (Irrigation), a department held by Shivpal Yadav.
- Aug 2016– Shivpal warned to leave party: Akhilesh’s uncle Shivpal Yadav threatened to resign as minister and work for the party. He stated “some leaders, officers and engineers are not responding to my orders”. Immediately, the family patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav intervened. And on Independence Day, he trashed Akhilesh and warned that Shivpal’s exit would have disastrous consequences for the Samajwadi Party.
- Sep 12, 2016 ““ Akhilesh Yadav sacked Singhal and 2 ministers ““
- Singhal already has a tainted image. His name is alleged to have figured in the controversial Amar Singh CDs which had shaken the political. Singhal had attended a dinner hosted by Samajwadi Party Rajya Sabha member Amar Singh in Delhi which Akhilesh Yadav was gaving a miss, had aggravated Akhilesh displeasure and he decided to sack him.
- Akhilesh Yadv had also sacked two of his ministers — Mining minister Gayatri Prajapati and Panchayti Raj minister Rajkishore Singh — facing corruption charges. Prajapati’s story is one of rags to riches. His estimated worth is now alleged to be around 2 lakh crore. He is alleged for sheltering illegal mining in the Sonebhadra region.
- Sep 13, 2016 ““ Shivpal replaces Akhilesh as SP Chief : Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh replaces Shivpal in place of Akhilesh as Party Chief ““ Akhilesh had been the party’s state chief for the last four years.
- Later Sep 13, 2016 – Shivpal was stripped off his key ministries: Revenue, irrigation and PWD departments have been taken away from Shivpal. Shivpal has now been handed over the social welfare department. Shivpal has been facing a lot of criticism after a bridge and a flyover in Lucknow caved in due to poor construction quality.
UP election is due in 2017, and with lots of corruption charges and most important the alleged return of gunda raj and SP leaders closeness with criminals can be a big set back for their chances to come back in power again. According to experts, the whole sacking incident can be an attempt to project SP image as corruption free and people”™s party.
But we can only say “Ye jo public hai, ye sab janti hai, ye jo public hai”