The Taj Mahal is one of the 7 wonders of the world. There are many unknown facts about the Taj Mahal which people don’t know. One of the most beautiful monuments in the world, the Taj Mahal has always been known for its endearing beauty & rich heritage. It has also made it to the Unesco’s World Heritage sites.
Built in the memory of Mughal Queen, this beautiful structure leaves everyone in awe. Mughal emperor Shah Jahan built it in his wife’s memory after she gave birth to their 14th child, Gauhara Begum. The monument is valued at Rs 52 Billion (US $827 Million) today.
We’re sure you want to know more about the monument of love. Read on. Here are 25 incredible facts from its glorious history.
- The Chief architect of the Taj Mahal was not an Indian. He was a Persian. Ustad Ahmad Lahauri, the architect was also believed to lay the foundation for another beautiful monument in Delhi, the Red Fort.
- A total of 28 different types of precious stones and semi-precious stones were imported from China & Tibet and set in white marble around the monument.
- When you look at the Taj Mahal closely, you’ll find the four Minarets are closely tilted. This was done on purpose to avoid the Taj Mahal from falling in event of an earthquake.
- The monument reflects different shades at different times of the day. It changes from shy pink in the morning to milky white in the evening and burnished golden on moonlit night. It is believed to be the changing moods of Mumtaz Mahal.
- You will find calligraphic inscriptions on the Taj Mahal. There are 99 names of Allah & excerpts from the Quran inscribed on the walls.