India is a secular nation and all the Indians must be treated equally. This was what I was taught in my school days. But as I grew up, I realized a bitter truth that all are not treated equally. Today, we are going to throw light on such an incident where Hindus students are sidelined when it comes to providing aide to higher education.
The right to get education must not be restricted to a certain religion or community. It should be accessible to all and that’s when a society will develop in every aspect. But when a RTI was filed in Karnataka, a disturbing trend has emerged.
The information shows that in order to promote minority students to take up higher education in Karnataka, the state government has spend Rs 2 lakh per minority student. The beneficiaries are 20 Muslim students and 13 Christian students and a huge some of 66 lakhs was spent for these students. The gratuity fund given by the state government of Karnataka to fund the study of minorities to aspire to join IITs and IIMs and many other prestigious institutions.
What should be also noted is that when the term minority is mentioned, not just Muslims and Christians, but even several other religions like Jains, Buddhists, Sikhs also are included. But we can see only the Muslims and Christians are availing the benefits of majority of the schemes.
20 Muslim , 13 Xtians and I Jain Student received Sum of 2Lakh as gratuity fund to study in IIT and IIMs from Govt of Karnataka.
1. Nothing for Hindu Students .
2. Other Minorities I.e Buddhist , Sikhs and Jains are not utilising this opportunity. pic.twitter.com/BiNWCEpL2G
— Girish Bharadwaja (@Girishvhp) February 15, 2018
Below is the list of institutions where the minorities can study with the help of state government’s aide!
Indian Institute of Technology (IITs)
Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs)
National Institution of Management (NITs)
Indian Institute of Management (IIMs)
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISERs)
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
All National Law University School (NLU)
Institute of National Importance (INIs)
Insitute under State Legislature Act (IuSLAs)
The anger is evident among the kannadigas for the pro-minority schemes of the CM Siddaramaiah’s Congress government. The question is, whether there are not economically backward students among the Hindu community? Why is not the government funding the education of Hindu students?
Here are few other revelations of how the CM Siddaramaiah government is appeasing the minorities!
- The RTI response reveals that in the year 2015-16, a total of Rs. 1484.60 lakhs (Rs 14.85 crores) was granted for repair and renovation of churches alone.
- In the year 2014-15, Rs 1498.32 lakhs was provided in grants for construction of new “Community Halls” (Samudaya Bhavana) and Rs 1656.33 lakhs for repair and renovation of churches.
- In the year 2013-2014, Rs 672.10 lakhs was granted for construction of new “Community Halls” and Rs 1230.85 lakhs for repair and renovation of churches.
The reply received from the Joint Director of the Directorate of Minorities Welfare on 19 May 2016.
Here are few other schemes provided to the minorities by CM Siddaramaiah!
- Free agricultural land
- Other education loans
- Construction of Shaadi Mahals
- Construction of Churches
- Rs 50,000 worth cash or gift for Muslim/Christian couple
- Special incentives
- Land purchase scheme
- Housing financial assistance
- Site purchase subsidy
Now, time has come to embrace PM Modi’s principle, “Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas”, says the kannadigas.