The very first fact which you need to accept before reading this article is – India started it’s large scale Solar Program in 2010, Pre Modi era had added 2319 MW of Solar Energy but in 2 years 6 months, India took a giant leap and clocked 8062 MW. The Ministry under Shree Piyush Goyal had actually accomplished 4 times approx the result in half the time spent by previous Government.
In January 2015 the Indian Government significantly expanded it’s solar plan, targeting 100 billion USD of investment and 100 GW of Solar Capacity which includes 40 GW of rooftop by 2022.
Let us analyze the accomplishments in Solar Sector.
- Â By the end of 2015, only 55% of all rural households had access to electricity and 85% depend on Solid fuel for cooking. Solar Products have increasingly helped to meet rural needs. By the end of 2015, this Government sold 1 million Solar Lanterns reducing Kerosene dependency. In 2015 alone 30,256 solar powered water pumps, 1,18,700 solar home lighting systems were installed and 46655 solar street lighting installations were provided under a National Program.
- Â In January 2016 Shree Narendra Modi and President of France Mr. Francois Hollande laid the foundation stone for head quarter of the International Solar Alliance called as SuryaPutras in Gwalpahari, Gurgaon. The alliance of 120 countries was announced at the Paris COP21 climate summit.
- 3. Installed Solar PV till July 2016.
2010 – 161 MW
2011 – 461 MW
2012 – 1205 MW
2013 – 2319 MW
2014 – 2632 MW
2015 – 3744 MW
Up to July 2016 – 8062 MW
- Â Rajasthan is leading in Solar Power clocking 1294 MW till July 2016, followed by Tamil Nadu ( 1267 MW ) and Gujarat ( 1123 MW ). Andhra and Telangana are also moving at the fast rate. Bihar, J&K and some North East states are at the bottom.
- Â A total of 60 cities/towns are proposed to be supported for development as Solar Cities during 11th plan period. At least 1 and the maximum of 5 cities in each state can be selected.
- Â Aditya Solar Shops / Akshay Urja Shops opened in India in large scale at every state so that people start converting their power source to renewable Solar Power source.
- Â Solar Policy for rooftop Solar panel has been constituted and works within 29 states are going in full swing. Target is 40 GW.
- Â Research and Development Center of Excellence in Solar Energy at 4 places.
First center is established at IIT Bombay named as National Center for Photovoltaic Research and Education.
Second center is Indian Institute of Engineering Science & Technology, Kolkata.
Third Center is at Ahmadabad named Center for Environment Planning and Technology.
Fourth center is at IIT Jodhpur.
- Â Many initiatives like Solar Canal Bank and Solar Canal-top is blossoming under the Ministry which represents themselves by mnre.gov.in
All of you can visit the website and can always read about all different kind of excellent programs in Solar Sector.