India is the most vibrant country in the world. A rising world leader, it is a rainbow which has seven distinct features. India is the only country which possesses ALL of them and this is what makes India special. It has rightly been said that the 21st century belongs to India.
1. Culture : The diversity in culture of India, and its depth are so vast that it is impossible for anyone to fathom. The strong family system is our salient feature which has given a strong unbreakable backbone to the society of country and helped it overcome moments of crisis. Another key aspect is our Kutumb pratha, where we treat entire world as a family (वसुधैव कुटुम्बकम्) and guests as God (अतिथिदेवो भव). The culture of India has fascinated millions of people all across the world who come to India to experience its indigenous culture.
2. Flora, Fauna and Agriculture : 90,000 species of animals, 45000 species of plants and 16000 species of flowering plants – more than 10% of entire global flora and fauna is present just in India. In case of agriculture, India is among the largest producers of fruits, pulses, vegetables and spices. With proper development in agriculture, the country is all set to witness another set of green revolution.
3. Respect for women : Ours is the only culture where we worship female Gods – no other existing religion has a concept of female God. We worship the Kumaris. Our society has accorded the status of Gods to women – यत्र नार्यस्तु पूज्यन्ते रमन्ते तत्र देवताः (Gods reside where women are worshipped). We have had women leaders in all fields before the world even thought of it. Though the ground situation needs a lot of improvement in certain aspects related to safety of women, various steps at social as well as at the level of government are being taken which are improving the scenario drastically.
4. Natural diversity : India is home to different types of ecological areas, so many weather, different seasons, different kind of soil for different vegetation, a large number of rivers, ponds, lakes, mountains, plateaus and what not !! The amount of natural resources we have – be it coal, mineral ores and other natural wealth, it makes many countries envious. Earlier the resources were looted and not properly utilised, the change in policies and a clear roadmap has increased the production and utilisation of resources tremendously. With proper utilisation of natural resources, we have reduced imports, increased consumption, increased power generation and given a big boost to the industries.
5. Demographic dividend : Our biggest asset – 65% of the country is less than the age of 35. With such a huge young and capable population, there is no reason that India won’t be a superpower. While all the countries of Eruope, China and Japan are ageing, India is at its peak of youth. With empowering them and making them skilled, we are creating a huge talented workforce, which will take India to an unprecedented heights.
6. Democracy : We have not only survived as a democracy, but are one of the most vibrant and dynamic democracies in the world. Despite such a wide diversity, our democracy has strengthened with time – something which evokes curiosity all across the world. Even with democracy, we have maintained steady 6-8% growth over 3 decades and excelled continuously.
7. Knowledge : We are the seekers of knowledge. For our society and in our culture, knowledge is still the most respected virtue to possess – विद्यारत्नम् महाद्धनम् (There is no wealth greater than knowledge). A society whose foundation is laid on education – be it the first universities of the world, th first treatises on law, economics, surgery, medicine, philosophy, india has always been a place which has highest respect for knowledge. It is so ingrained in the society that even today, the blessings from an elder is, “Padh likh kar bada bano (Study and earn respect in the society).”
There is no country in the world which has ALL of these together. Yes, we need a lot of improvement in many of these areas. We need to work hard and systematically, but our foundation is immensely strong, and a great nation is built on strong foundations. Being an optimist, I see no reason why India will not be a superpower. With all my conviction, I can say that this century belongs to us. We will make India the ‘Vishwaguru’ again. Negativity and pessimism can never take us to great heights. We need to believe in ourselves.
उत्तिष्ठत जाग्रत प्राप्य वरान् निबोधत – Arise, awake and stop not till the goal is reached.
जय हिंद ! जय भारत !