On Tuesday, while addressing the Lok Sabha, Yogi Adityanath delivered one of the best speeches where he outlined his plans for making UP as ‘Uttam Pradesh’ or ‘Utkrisht Pradesh’, both meaning the best province. He said that he will make Uttar Pradesh a state which is free of riots, free of crimes, safe for women and free from corruption. It seems Yogi Adityanath is in no mood to take rest. Soon after he took oath as the chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, he has been on a mission mode to fulfill all his promises. Here we look at some big actions that have been taken by Uttar Pradesh government in the last 4 days.
1. Sealing of illegal slaughterhouses: The government passed an order making all the mechanical slaughterhouses illegal. Going a step ahead, the police has sealed more than 200 ‘illegal’ slaughterhouses all across the state, which were running illegally. Most of those illegal slaughterhouses had been ‘closed’ on paper, but were operating clandestinely under the patronage of politicians, businessmen and police. With change in government, all these illegal slaughterhouses have been sealed. BSP senior leader Yakub Quereshi’s illegal slaughterhouse has also been sealed.
2. Formation of Romeo Squad : In a bid to provide security to women, college and school going girls, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath directed the Uttar Police to form ‘Romeo Squad’ which will be stationed at strategic places so that eve-teasers are dealt with strictly. Under the supervision of Inspector General of Police, every zone will have a squad. The Superintendent of Police at every district level will be constituting a team of policemen to ensure women are safe on the streets. In last 3 days, more than 800 men have either been arrested or warned by the Romeo Squad, stationed mostly near colleges, schools, parks and market.
3. No VIP Culture : Soon after Yogi Adityanath assumed office, he passed an order that Red beacon will no longer be used by the ministers or bureaucrats. He even ordered that gunners and security will not be provided for status symbol. Only those people with a threat perception will be provided with security.
4. Attack on Corruption : One of the first decision that CM Yogi Adityanath took was asking all the ministers, officials, bureaucrats to submit their affidavit of wealth, properties, assets and source of income strictly within 15 days, failing which action will be taken. He has sent a clear message in his meeting with senior bureaucrats and officers that any case of corruption will not be tolerated.
5. Strategy formulated to end crimes : In his first meeting with UP Director General of Police Javeed Ahmed, Yogi Adityanath asked the top cop to prepare a complete list of all the criminals, possible anti-social elements and initiate investigation into pending criminal cases which had been closed. The CM asked the DGP to prepare the list and ensure that the suspects are kept under watch so that criminal activities are prevented.
6. No Gutkha and Pan-masala in office : In order to keep the offices and surroundings clean, Yogi Adityanath delivered an oath to the officials and bureaucrats that no one will chew Gutkha/Pan-masala in the office. Next day, deputy CM Keshava Prasad Maurya confirmed that the government has banned Gutka/Pan-masala in all the offices of Uttar Pradesh government.
7. Monitoring social media rumours : Most of the riots and cases of communal violence these days are initiated and fuelled by rumours on social media. The Uttar Pradesh government has asked the bureaucrats and police to keep a strict eye on any kind of rumor or posts that can incite violence in any area of the state. The police have been asked to monitor social media posts and take action the moment anything suspicious or dangerous appears in any area.
8. Refrain from controversial statements : Once himself known to make controversial statements, being elevated to the post of Chief Minister has brought a change in Yogi Adityanath. In the first meeting, he issued strict directions to all his MLAs and the public servants to stay clear of controversies and avoid making any statement, which can create a controversy.
Well begun is half done. The way Yogi Adityanath has shown his determination and taken concrete actions to transform Uttar Pradesh in his first week is more than commendable.