Former Finance Minister Shri Arun Jaitley was one of the top most educated politicians in our country. One of the biggest BJP leaders of his generation, Mr. Arun Jaitley is known for his oratory skill and clear views on politics.
As he departed today for his heavenly abode let’s pay a tribute and learn few of the lesser known facts about Shri. Arun Jaitleyji:
- Arun Jaitley was a brilliant student during his college life. He graduated with a honours degree in commerce, BCom from Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi in 1973. He passed his LLB degree from the Faculty of Law, University of Delhi, in 1977.
- During this time he discovered his interest in politics and became president of Student Union in Delhi University. During emergency he went to jail and met many BJP leaders who liked his opinion and oratory skills.
- After coming out of jail Arun Jaitley joined Jan Sangh and became Delhi President of ABVP and also All India Secretary of ABVP. He was a prominent leader of a movement against corruption launched in the year 1973 by Raj Narain and Jayaprakash Narayan.
- When BJP was formed he became its Youth Wing President in 1980.Under Atal and Advani, BJP was working hard and Arun Jaitley was given task to transform youth brigade of BJP into mature politicians.
- He was also a practicing lawyer at Supreme Court of India and soon became a prominent Lawyer of the country. In January 1990, Delhi High Court designated him as a Senior Advocate.He was appointed Additional Solicitor General by the V. P. Singh government in 1989 and did the paperwork for the investigations into the Bofors scandal.
- He was a delegate on behalf of the Government of India to the United Nations General Assembly Session in June 1998 where the Declaration on Laws Relating to Drugs and Money Laundering was approved.
- In 1999, when Atalji Led NDA came into power he was made Minister of State and held important portfolios like Law and Justice, Information and Broadcasting and also Minister of State for Disinvestment. He remained one of the most trusted aides of Atal Bihar Vajpayee who promoted him to Cabinet rank only after a year.
- He became chief strategist of BJP after death of Pramod Mahajan and Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s retirement. He was the voice of BJP in Rajya Sabha and in 2009 he became Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha.
- He was chief Strategy planner of BJP for 2014 election and became one of the reasons for massive victory.
- In 2014, he contested direct election for the first time but lost to a respected Congress Leader Capt. Amrindar Singh from Amritsar seat.
- He loved cricket. Under his leadership of the Delhi and District cricket association many young cricketers had a chance to hone their skill and make India proud. He has also served as Vice President of BCCI before resigning in 2014. Here’s what Virendra Sehwag has to say,
But under his leadership at the DDCA, many players including me got a chance to represent India. He listened to needs of the players & was a problem solver. Personally shared a very beautiful relationship with him. My thoughts & prayers are with his family & loved ones. Om Shanti https://t.co/Kl4NpprR6W
— Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) August 24, 2019
Jaitley, who had been suffering from kidney complications, was operated upon for kidney transplant at the All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
In January 2019, Jaitley was diagnosed with a rare form of soft-tissue sarcoma and sought treatment in New York.
On 14 August 2019, he was hospitalized at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi under critical condition after he complained of “breathlessness”. On 17 August, it was reported that Jaitley was on life-support.By 23 August, his health had deteriorated.
Jaitleyji passed away at 12:07 PM on 24 August 2019 at the age of 66.
He made his mark at a very young age in politics and continued to have a huge influence on the younger generation leaders of BJP. He was a mentor, a great orator and an exceptionally well read politician. A salute and tribute to him.
Dr Sindhu Prashanth