Today on 9th July, the world’s largest students’ organization Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (A.B.V.P.) is celebrating its 69th Foundation Day. On this day, let’s look back at the activities and accomplishments of ABVP and learn about what the organization stands for.
Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (A.B.V.P.), as a students’ organization, was formally established on the July 09, 1949 at Mumbai, India. It was formed with a vision to co-ordinate and direct the youth’ power towards the process of national rebuilding and national integration. With more than three and half-million annually renewed memberships, A.B.V.P. is the world’s largest students’ organization. Its expanse is pan-India (this is a near translation of ‘Akhil-Bhartiya’) with properly functional and popular units from Leh-Ladakh in North India to Andaman in South and from Arunachal Pradesh in east to Gujarat in west.
The organization has nearly 3312 functional units and nearly 533 functional college units. Its members have been successfully performing leadership role from medical profession to academics, from politics to social reformation, from innovation-driven industries to labour-intensive sectors, from liberal arts to entertainment industry. ABVP’s slogan ‘Student’s power, Nation’s Power’ was inspired by the well-thought necessities and aspirations of dream and realities of the formative years of post-Independence India, and estimation of the immense potential, caliber and confidence of the students/youth in nurturing and empowering the Nation’s power and image due to their proven role behind the India’s Freedom Struggle movement too.
Vidyarthi Parishad provides an opportunity to student to engage in the journey of driving India to the pinnacle of glory. ABVP believes that students are citizens of today, not tomorrow and hence, they can provide radiant contribution to welfare of society and nation. Vidyarthi Parishad provides a unique opportunity to students for character development, contribution towards nation’s progress, social upliftment and fulfillment of Constitutional obligations. Through constructive programs like ‘Samajik Anubhuti’; ABVP members are sensitized and educated about diverse social experiences, adversities, aspirations and opportunities to make India better. ABVP works towards careful inculcation of a value system whereby the students are sensitized to the pettiness of provincial identities, caste identities, gender identities, religious identities and about the need to place Nation and humanity over anything else. They are educated about the geo-cultural identity of Bharat. ABVP guides students towards positive leadership role whereby they play dynamic and constructive role in the Nation-building program.
The organization draws its inspiration from the call of Swami Vivekananda Ji to make students sensitive towards the pain, agony and problems of India and its people and thereby assist India in the process of eradicating them. ABVP believes in students’ activism more than students’ politics at University level. ABVP believes that being educated, students can play the role of a transformative and motivating force for a dynamic mass which shall place Nation above any other interest or identity. The organization has a firm belief that students will play an important and constructive role in reconstructing India into a powerful, prosperous and proud Nation.
Vidyarthi Parishad is involved in a catena of activities which permeate across agitation, struggles, policy advocacy, social service and movements etc. for securing the interest of students; raising awareness campaigns, initiating constructive activities for social harmony and against injustice. ABVP also plays a very active role in the rescue missions’ post-disasters. Through several initiatives and programs like SEIL, WOSY, Think India, SFD etc., ABVP activists are actively pursuing the goals of nation’s resurrection and participate in the positive missions of the Government of India and other state government, irrespective of party in power.
Dimensions of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad
As Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) whole-heartedly participates in the process of glorious National Resurrection, it is involved in multifarious activities which bring cohesion in society as well as provide opportunity to youth with different expertise for positive contribution towards the society and nation. ABVP has taken a catena of steps in this direction and thereby we have a number of sub-organizational units with special focus. The most distinct ones are :
1. World Organization for Students and Youth (WOSY)- WOSY was established in 1985 and is guided by the mantra of वसुधैव कुटुम्बकम् (World is one family). Its mission is to encourage students to unite and strive towards a better world by overcoming the barriers of race, religion, region, language, sex or power blocks. It is involved in assisting the foreign students for a happy and engaging stay in India through ice-breaking session, inter-cultural programs, celebrations of festival, assisting them in logistical needs and running helpline.
2. Student’s Experience in Inter-State Living (SEIL) – SEIL is a very special initiative of ABVP to address the discrimination which our friends from North-East India face. It was started to address the brewing discontent through a program wherein students from north-east and vice versa are provided an opportunity to understand the underlying unity of India. Through inter-state living, the consciousness towards national unity is realized. It assists in evolving a pro-people, pro-development and pro-emotional integration mind-set amongst those, who have been posted in the North-East India and for who, core issues involved in various crises in this region, are almost alien. It connects people in other parts of the country about the North-East India’s contribution in enriching the Bharatiya culture, its distinct folk life and also the agonies and aspirations of people in these areas, through several ways and means.
3. Students For Development (SFD): This initiative focuses on instilling a right, open-minded and balanced perspective towards the need of holistic and sustainable development. As no one developmental model is perfect in this complex world, through SFD, ABVP believes in sensitizing youth to check the harm to the Mother Earth. SFD campaigns on issues like water conservation, renewable energy, protection of bio-diversity, environmental pollution etc.
4. Think India- Through Think India, ABVP attempts at bringing the best talent in India for evolving a Nation-First attitude. It provides an opportunity to researchers, professionals and students to engage in the study of challenges India faces and evolve an effective solution to them. Think India brings leaders of tomorrow together to think for better India and better world.
5. Agro Vision- It is another special initiative focusing on farmers of India- the really workforce of India. Through Agro Vision, ABVP researches and sensitizes farmers about the profits of the organic farming and evolving better methods of water management, least possible use of pesticides and fertilizers. The single point agenda is enhancing income for farmers by making agriculture viable with an eye on sustainable development.
6. MeDeVision- Providing economically viable health care is key for India. Keeping this in mind, MeDeVision focuses on bringing together medical students and professionals to sensitize masses about the precaution and prevention from diseases. MeDeVision tries to evolve policies which balance the interest of medical practitioners with the interest of ordinary masses in light of rising cost of healthcare. It also focuses on engaging and evolving them towards their role in social welfare as a moral being.
7. Samajik Anubhuti- It is an initiative which provides opportunity for students and youth to spend time in society and especially in colonies where our poorer and weak fellow beings live. Through this, the students is sensitized about the problems and crisis which the poor and deprived sections of society. Students are made aware about the disparity and depravation in society. They survey, analyze and suggest solutions to these problems.
Divya Saxena Rastogi