There is a famous quote from novelist and critic George Orwell goes as-
“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others”.
Now let’s just change the word animal to state. That’s what has happened with Kashmir. Being an integral part of India, it was always kept ‘special’.
7 decades after India’s independence, Today, 5th August 2019, the ruling government displayed utmost guts to unite India and to put an end to Kashmir problem, by daringly scraping off article 370, which gave special status to Kashmir.
Let us take a moment to congratulate and thank the government led by Shri. Narendra Modi, for this historic decision.
How it will change the scenario in Kashmir? Let’s see,
- One nation one constitution – Till today the state of Jammu & Kashmir had a different constitution. Now the constitution of India is applicable there. India became a complete ‘ganatantra’ now.
- No more discrimination among citizens of India – An Indian citizen can now buy land, do business just like in any other status. Discrimination against non-residents won’t happen anymore. It will boost the infrastructure, tourism, employment in the state.
- The law passed by the parliament will apply in J&K – Before, any rule/act passed by the parliament had to go through the legislative assembly of the state. Now no such obstruction to the implementation of the law.
- The state of J&K will go to elections once in 5 years- The previous 6 years term will now be changed to 5 years just like in any other states.
- J&K ceases to be a state – Jammu and Kashmir have been bifurcated into two union territories, J&K and Ladakh. The propaganda-driven political parties of Kashmir will lose their control over the state. Ladakh and Jammu will have their share of development policies without altercations suiting to Kashmir.
- Right to information act (RTI) will be enabled – It will put the elected legislature under the surveillance of common citizens of the country. They are answerable, their actions can be questioned.
- The governor will have utmost power- breaks the backbone of separatists the political parties of Kashmir never showed their solidarity towards India. They have always played a shadow game, hand in gloves with separatists. Now it’s game over
- Gender equality and rights to the non-permanent residents can now be expected, a girl marrying outside Kashmir would lose all her rights before. Now due to scraping of Article 370, they will have their share of rights intact. People from other states can now acquire land and property in J&K
- Voting rights for ‘non-residents’, any citizen of India can now settle himself in the state of J&K, he can apply to have voting rights which was previously impossible.
- The law and order of the state from the centre this will boost the morale of security forces, who on day-today basis deal with the insurgents, stone pelters, terrorists.they will directly act upon the orders from the centre.
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar had strongly opposed article 370. He had declared that he would never, as Law Minister, consent to Article 370. He said –
“You wish India should protect your borders, she should build roads in your area, she should supply you food grains, and Kashmir should get equal status as India. But the Government of India should have only limited powers and Indian people should have no rights in Kashmir. To give consent to this proposal, would be a treacherous thing against the interests of India and I, as the Law Minister of India, will never do it“.
The pseudo-liberals and so-called protectors of the constitution who are opposing this bill must read Dr. Ambedkars views. Scraping of Article 370 is a true tribute to his vision of India. And our PM is fulfilling it
It’s “ek bharath shreshta bharath” now in real sense.
Dr Sindhu Prashanth