Due to Modi government’s diplomacy and initial victory in the International Court of Justice, the death penalty for former Indian Navy Officer Kulbhushan Jadhav was withheld. Mr Jadhav’s family even got an opportunity to meet him in Pakistan.
Due to this meet, Pakistan was entirely exposed in front of the world. The way Kulbhushan Jadhav is being treated; how his mother and wife were treated, everything got exposed. Even the External Affairs Ministry gave a befitting reply for the undignified behavior of Pakistani fanatics.
But did you know that Sarabjit Singh’s family, the Indian who was killed at Lahore prison in April 2013, was humiliated by Pakistan in the year 2008 but Congress party didn’t even condemn it!
The pain and mental trauma that the family of Sarabjit Singh underwent was expressed layer by layer after the ill-treatment of Kulbhushan Jadhav’s family surfaced. Dalbir Kaur, sister of Sarabjit Singh expressed every bit of the ordeal faced by her family when they travelled to Pakistan to meet Sarabjit Singh, who was wrongly convicted of terrorism and spying by a Pakistani court and sentenced to death in 1991.
- We had no clue of the shocking things that were to unfold before our meeting with Sarabjit, said Sarabjit’s sister Dalbir Kaur.
- Even before the meeting was to take place, the behaviour of Pakistani authorities was bad. A female cop took out a handkerchief and wiped out the ‘sindoor’ from Sukhpreet’s forehead. Both Sukhpreet and I were asked to take out hair pins as well. Sarabjit’s teenaged daughters were also mistreated, and authorities were rude even after I raised objections. We were even asked to take out our ‘kadas’ (bracelets), she added.
- Sarabjit Singh loved “bharwan karela”, a bitter gourd dish. So his family had brought it to him with love. But the Pakistani authorities opened the container and stuffed it into their mouth.
- Before proceeding to meet Sarabjit in jail, a manager at a Lahore Gurudwara asked us to keep our passports there. When we were to leave after the meeting, we were told to show our passports. When reminded that we had been asked to deposit these at the Gurudwara, the Pak authorities delayed our departure telling us that the documents were not traceable. This is how she exhibited the pathetic treatment given to her by Pakistan.
Dalbir Kaur had even met Sarabjit Singh in 2011 but the treated was similar!
“I was the only one to be granted a visa. But this time too their treatment was no different. They took my ‘kirpan’ forcibly and when I asked them to at least keep it safely, they flung it in some corner showing disrespect which deeply hurt my religious sentiments”.
The final meet!!!
In the year 2013, Sarabjit’s sister, wife and two daughters had again traveled to Lahore to meet him but could see him from a distance. The reason was that he was brutally attacked and after few days he passed away.
Sarabjit Singh’s sister praised the Modi government for handling Kulbhushan Jadhav’s case!
• First Pakistan portrayed the meeting of Jadhav’s family as a humanitarian gesture, they then humiliated the family by asking them to remove bindis, mangal sutras etc and separated the family from him by putting up a glass screen. Now, they have come up with this baseless charge of chip, camera etc.
• I think India has responded as strongly and appropriately as it should in such circumstances. From now on, we should be even more firm towards Pakistan because they deserve such treatment and can only understand tough language.