India has achieved yet another historic achievement in the field of Defence. Yes, the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile, Brahmos, was successfully tested for the first time from a Sukhoi-30MKI fighter jet.
The missile was gravity dropped from the Su-30 fuselage.The two-stage missile’s engine then fired up and immediately propelled towards the sea-based target in the Bay of Bengal. After this spectacular achievement, Raksha Mantri Nirmala Sitharaman congratulated DRDO and BrahMos for the outstanding accomplishment.
Watch!!! BrahMos Missile Successfully Test Fired From Indian Air Force’s Sukhoi Jet
Why this makes India a superpower?
- BrahMos supersonic cruise missile is the world’s fastest one of its kind.
- The fighter jet which has a cruising range of 3,200 km along with the supersonic cruise missile is said to a ‘deadly combination’.
- It flies almost three times the speed of sound at Mach 2.8.
- It is extremely difficult to intercept the BrahMos, by surface to air missiles deployed on leading warships around the world.
- Brahmos is a joint venture between DRDO of India and NPOM of Russia.
- Due to the weight of the missile, the Su-30 can carry only missile one per mission.
- This world-class weapon with a multi-platform, multi-mission role is now capable of being launched from land, sea and air.
- The BrahMos operates on ‘Fire and Forget Principle’, adopting varieties of flights on its way to the target.
- Its cursing altitude could be up to 15 km and terminal altitude is as low as 10 meters.
- As the test is successful, BrahMos has been upgraded to a deep surgical-strike weapon from merely a precision-strike weapon.
This is how Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman praised this historic achievement.
“India creates a world record and completes Supersonic Cruise Missile Triad by successfully testing #BRAHMOS #ALCM from Indian Air Force Sukhoi-30MKI fighter aircraft. Smt @nsitharaman congratulates Team Brahmos & @DRDO_Indiafor this historic achievement”.
India creates a world record and completes Supersonic Cruise Missile Triad by successfully testing #BRAHMOS #ALCM from Indian Air Force Sukhoi-30MKI fighter aircraft. Smt @nsitharaman congratulates Team Brahmos & @DRDO_India for this historic achievement.
— Raksha Mantri (@DefenceMinIndia) November 22, 2017
This milestone test was witnessed by Dr Sudhir Mishra, DG (BrahMos) & CEO & MD, BrahMos Aerospace along with senior IAF officials, Scientists and Officials from DRDO and BrahMos.
This is how Finance Minister congratulated the team!!!
Compliments to our scientists, engineers & team #BrahMos @DRDO_India for successfully test firing Supersonic Cruise Missile #BrahMos #ALCM from fighter aircraft Sukhoi-30MKI. This will increase the reach of #BrahMos by many folds & enhance combat potential of our defence force.
— Arun Jaitley (@arunjaitley) November 22, 2017
Olympic medalist Vijender Singh reminded Indians that yesterday, Dalveer Bhandari was appointed to the International Court of Justice and today India has set another milestone in the field of Defence.
Justice #DalveerBhandari ‘s appointment to #ICJ yesterday &
setting a world record by successfully test firing Supersonic Cruise Missile #BrahMos today.
Time for the world to know that we?? are no more a country of just snake charmers.
— Vijender Singh (@boxervijender) November 22, 2017
Kudos to our scientists for successfully test firing world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile #BrahMos from IAF Sukhoi-30MKI fighter aircraft. With this remarkable achievement India will leap forward in the field of defence and national security. pic.twitter.com/IoJ5yhl7k2
— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) November 22, 2017