Yesterday, Trinamool Congress (TMC) MP Sultan Ahmed at the age of 64 was declared dead on arrival at the Belle Vue Hospital in Kolkata. Reports claim that he suffered with a massive cardiac arrest at his residence. Ahmed, who was minister for tourism in the Manmohan Singh government, was allegedly caught on camera taking bribe in the Narada News Sting Operation. He was named in the FIR filed by CBI and was being interrogated for the same.
What remains interesting is that the TMC holds BJP (the political party in power at the Centre) responsible for his death.
Following statements of Trinamool Congress MP Subrata Bakshi were reported by the media. “This is a very unfortunate incident. Sultan Ahmed was there with us right from the beginning. His death has hurt us a lot. I think that the political party in power at the Centre (read BJP) is responsible for his death.”
“A man requires 40 years to be established in life. But a life ends in 40 seconds. The political party in power at the Centre and some media houses have mentally tortured him and maligned him for the last 8-10 months that he had felt estranged from his family and social life.”
“Our entire Trinamool family is grief-stricken. The wife of another Trinamool MP Prasun Banerjee has died due to the similar reasons. We protest this incident and his (Sultan Ahmed) death is likely to create a void in the Trinamool Congress. We cannot forget his contribution.”
Thanks to Subrata Bakshi that he spoke something which is irrelevant as it was Trinamool MP Partha Chatterjee’s wife Babli Chatterjee who died recently on July 26th following a sudden massive cardiac arrest and not Prasun Banerjee’s wife. This is for his kind information.
Didi’s statements in the press meet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_19Fqc0ITfU ) yesterday shows that she is playing politics over a dead colleague which is a cheap trick and doesn’t do any justice to Sultan Ahmed. May his soul rest in peace.
Showing all sympathies to the bereaved family and the departed soul, there are some observations in this scenario.
- Taking blame game into consideration, it is foolish to blame BJP or the CBI.
- Mamatha Didi expressed that her “long term” colleague was under stress with CBI investigating and quizzing him. One can see the extent of awareness Didi has regarding the case. She said “There was some Narada case of Rs 1 to 1.5 lakh… he was under extreme stress…”. How can she call it “some narada case”? One has to ask her if her long term colleague was so weak that he could not face the questions for mere Rs 1 to 1.5 lakh worth scam? Didi ji, Meagre 1- 1.5 lakhs was not involved here, the MP can be seen nodding to accept more money as much as 5 lakhs. And if 1 – 1.5 lakhs is meagre then what’s the usual bribing amount?
- How come under extreme stress? While in one of the interviews (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72FHJcXgl9k), Sultan Ahmed said the reporters that CBI was “very cordial” with him during the inquiry.
- The sting tapes have been proven to be original and untampered. The videos clearly (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=4l7ZBIHVbPg) indicate the involvement of Sultan Ahmed who has been caught red hand assuring to do favors and lobbying. This is a key aspect of the case.
- In the video, Late. Sultan Ahmed goes on talking about the scenario of elections and how Didi does “issue based support to the centre in power and functions based on the “packages” provided by the central government. The conversation is a clear indicator of the corrupted TMC and their chief.
- Why do they have to blame CBI for doing their job? Infact, one must seek a post mortem report of Sultan Ahmed. Sudden death of Sultan Ahmed who was under CBI enquiry seems fishy keeping in mind about the links he had towards the corrupt world. Also, with statements by Bakshi saying that another MP’s wife died due to “similar reason”, the questions which be raised are : What similar reasons? Cardiac arrest isn’t natural? Who caused these? Was there any foul play?
- Reports claim that the incident occurred around 11:15am at his residence, but he (dead on arrival) was taken to hospital around 12:15 pm, while the distance between his residence and hospital is mere 2kms, which can be covered within 5-8 mins.
- Incident happening on the same day when CBI’s letter reached him, isn’t that fishy? Instead of seeking for investigation on the death, Didi seems busy in covering up the scam and blames CBI for doing their job. His death has for sure made things bit easy for the TMC as he had revealed the secrets of TMC to the CBI, according to some sources.