It’s been decades now for the “Ram Mandir- Babri Masjid” dispute in the land of Ayodhya. The religious head and the followers of the respected religions have taken it to a different level of judgment. This dispute has taken a religious and political flashpoint now.
The history behind the dispute:
- 1528: Mir Baaqi, general of Mughal emperor Babur, builds the Babri Masjid at Ayodhya. It is allegedly built on “Ram Janam Bhoomi”, the birthplace of Lord Ram.
- 1853: First recorded violence when Hindus attacked the place over the issue during British rule.
- Dec 22, 1949: Sant Digvijay Nath of Gorakhnath Math joined the Akhil Bharatiya Ramayana Mahasabha and organised a 9-day continuous recitation of Ramcharit Manas, at the end of which Hindu activists broke into the mosque and placed idols of Ram and Sita inside. Hashim Ansari, a resident of Ayodhya, approached the court saying the idols are removed and it is allowed to remain as a masjid.
Government locked the place but priests were allowed to perform daily puja. Case lingers on without settlement for more than three decades now.
- 1980s: VHP launches the Ram temple movement.
- 1986: A district judge orders the gates of the compound be reopened and Shilanyas allowed; Hindus permitted to worship inside.
- Sept, 1990: BJP leader LK Advani takes out his Somnath to “Ayodhya rath yatra”. Bihar Chief Minister Lalu Prasad arrests him at Samastipur.
- Dec 6, 1992: Babri Masjid is demolished by kar sevaks. BJP leaders Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, Uma Bharati and others present at venue. On December 16, Liberhan Commission is formed to probe the issue 2003 Case filed against five BJP leaders present at the spot during the demolition.
- July 5, 2005: Terrorists attack Janam Bhoomi make-shift temple June 30, 2009 Liberhan Commission submits a report.
The latest developments:
- Sept 30, 2010: Allahabad HC gives its verdict trifurcating
thearea. 1/3 of the land is given to Ram Lalla, the deity, represented by Hindu Mahasabha; 1/3 to Sunni Wakf Board and 1/3 to Nirmohi Akhara.
- Dec 2010: Hindu Mahasabha & Sunni Wakf Board appeal in SC.
- May 9, 2011: SC orders status quo, says none of appellants.
- March 21, 2017: Apex court suggests the matter be solved through mediation and offers to appoint a judge as mediator wanted the land to be divided.
Final Hearing by the Supreme Court:
It took up to a Political Storm when the Congress leader and senior lawyer “Kapil Sibal”, appeared to the hearing on behalf of Sunni Waqf Board.
The Supreme Court adjourned the final hearing in the “Babri Masjid-Ram Mandir case” to February 8, 2018.
But, Kapil Sibal urged the apex court to take the Babri Masjid-Ram Janam Bhoomi case in July 2019, after the Lok Sabha elections.
Ahead of the hearing, senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Subramanian Swamy targeted Kapil Sibal for appearing on behalf of Sunni Waqf Board in Ayodhya case.
“Kapil Sibal will be defending the claim of Sunni Wakf Board against Ram Mandir for a fat fee. Some Shiva Bakhts!!” Swamy wrote on Twitter, in an apparent attack on the Congress.
Kapil Sibal will be defending the claim of Sunni Wakf Board against Ram Mandir for fat fee. Some Shiva Bakhts!!
— Subramanian Swamy (@Swamy39) December 5, 2017
Another BJP leader and Union Minister Giriraj Singh also attacked Kapil Sibal for representing Sunni Waqf Board in Supreme Court and asked the Congress and Rahul Gandhi to make their stand clear on the Babri Masjid-Ram Janma Bhoomi case.
“Rahul Gandhi is visiting temples and Kapil Sibal is fighting against Ram Mandir in the Supreme Court,” Giriraj Singh said adding that the Congress is a danger for Sanatan dharma.
You would find it quite interesting to know that none of the Congress members felt it necessary to talk and justify on this issue. The Congress party which calls PM Modi, “as a non-Hindu”, is this your love towards Hinduism??
In Ram Janmabhumi Case 60% Muslim & 40% Hindu lawyers are appearing for Babri Mosque But No Muslim Lawyer for Ram Mandir. Religion first & Professional ethics etc later!
— Prashant P. Umrao (@ippatel) December 5, 2017
Stating, Prime Minister Narendra Modi is not a ‘real Hindu’ and appearing against Ram Temple in Ayodhya case, The Congress government told the Supreme Court in 2007 that Lord Ram didn’t exist. Is this goodwill what Congress is upto?
“People now know who are a ‘Ram bhakt’ and who is not..” Visiting temples and broadcasting it does not turn any man into a staunch follower of Hinduism. Rahul Gandhi being termed the so-called Shiv- Bhakt, is this the Bhakti (devotion) he has towards Hinduism?
आज से सुप्रीम कोर्ट में रोज राम मंदिर पर सुनवाई है कपिल सिब्बल अयोध्या में मस्जिद थी के पक्ष में वकील है अब राहुल गांधी बताएं क्या वह सच्चे हिंदू है अगर है तो क्या राम भक्त नहीं है और राम भक्त हैं तो फिर उन्हीं की पार्टी का एक वकील देश के हिंदुओं की भावनाओं से खिलवाड़ क्यों?
— Madhu Sharma (@madhusharmabjp) December 5, 2017