While Rahul Gandhi led Congress busy is shouting that the Aadhaar card scheme is dangerous as it violates privacy, Infosys co-founder and Congress leader Nandan Nilekani has said that Modi’s government push for Aadhaar has helped in saving Rs 585000000000 crores of money to the government.
Nilekani said this at the event on the sidelines of the annual meeting of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank.
The 62-year-old non-executive chairman of Infosys said that ‘Aadhaar now has more than a billion people registered on its system’.
He further said that “It has also saved the government about USD 9 billion in fraud and wastage because by having that unique number you eliminate fakes and duplicates from your beneficiary and employee list”.
“We have about half a billion people who have connected their ID directly to a bank account. The government has transferred about USD 12 billion into bank accounts electronically in real time to the world’s largest cash transfer system. There are many many things like that. I’m a big believer that if you build the right digital infrastructure then you can leapfrog”.
He also said that this will give a push to digital economy. Amidst so many attempts by the opposition to suppress the Aadhaar schemes, Modi govt wasn’t deterred by it. The reason is that the Aadhaar will give a massive boost to the economy as it will help to eliminate fraudulent practises.
“A stage may come that the unique identity will become the only card” these the words of Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
Now let us focus on few of the benefits of Aadhaar card!!
- LPG cylinder subsidy amount is directly credited to the Aadhaar linked bank account after the LPG consumer number is linked.
- The procedure of passport is very quick. Yes, now the passport can be obtained in 10 days.
- Wages under this scheme will also be credited directly to the bank account of the workers linked with Aadhar card number.
- The senior citizens are seeing Aadhaar as a boon. After registering their Aadhaar Card number, they will get their pension amount time to time.
- One more benefit is that the Aadhaar Card ensures that the Provident Fund is disbursed directly to the pensioner’s account.