Common people are in the conception that few join politics with intentions of amassing massive wealth. This is true to a certain extent because we can see proofs in front of our eyes like 2G scams, NPAs, Bofors scam etc. As it is apparent that billions and billions of dollars of money is looted from Indian, one common question that poses in every Indian’s mind is that, who is the richest chief minister of India?
The title of richest CM of India goes to the chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, Mr Chandrababu Naidu as the worth of the assets he holds is Rs 177 crores. He is the first chief minister of the state since it was divided and it should be also noted that he even served as the chief minister of undivided Andhra Pradesh. He is also the National President of Telugu Desam Party.
Months ago, an email sent to Irving Mayor Beth Van Duyne and Dallas police had created a sensation in the NRI circle that supported Telugu Desam. The email had alleged that Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu was behind the killings of innocent citizens by branding them red sanders smugglers and that he was visiting the United States to illegally mobilise funds.
So, Mr Chandrababu Naidu’s life is entangled in bunches of crimes and scams. Yet, he was successful in winning the 2014 state assembly elections.
Who is the second richest CM of India?
The second spot is grabbed by none other than Arunachal Pradesh CM Pema Khandu as his assets are worth 129 crores. He became second Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh of Bharatiya Janata Party in Arunachal Pradesh after 44 days Gegong Apang led government in 2003.
In December 2016, Khandu proved majority on the floor of the house with 33 of the People’s Party of Arunachal’s 43 legislators joining the Bharatiya Janata Party as the BJP increased its strength to 45 with the support of two independents as it had 11 MLAs already.
What are the assets of other chief ministers?
- The third position is bagged by the Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh who has Rs 48 crore worth of assets.
- Mamata Banerjee, CM of West Bengal, has declared assets worth Rs 30 lakh only, with no immovable assets.
- Pinarayi Vijayan, Chief Minister of Kerala, has 11 criminal cases registered against him.
- The alleged “Delhi Ka Malik” Mr Arvind Kejriwal has 10 criminal cases registered against him.
- The survey which was conducted by transparency body Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR) revealed that out of 31 CMs, 20 have clean records while 11, or 35%, have declared criminal cases. Eight (26%) have serious criminal cases.
- The survey also says that the average assets of the CMs are just over 16 crores.
- 25 out of 31 chief ministers are crorepatis, reveals the survey.
- Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR) also says that 55% of the CMs have assets worth Rs 1 crore to Rs 10 crore, with 19% having assets less than a crore.
What are the educational qualifications of the CMs?
Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR) report claims that 7% of the CMs have assets worth Rs 100 crore and above. When it comes to education, 39% being graduates and another 32% being professionals. Surprisingly, 16% CMs are postgraduates and 10% have just passed high school. Chief Minister P K Chamling of Sikkim holds a doctorate.