Days after Rahul Gandhi ascended the throne as Congress party president, Sonia Gandhi has announced that she will retire from mainstream politics. This has put an end to the Sonia Gandhi era which lasted for nearly 20 years.
My role now is to retire!!!
This was the statement made by Sonia Gandhi who was the Congress party president for nearly 20 years. The 47-year-old youth icon will be formally made the president of the Congress party tomorrow, 16th December, and by this, the Congress has been successful in retaining the post within the Gandhi dynasty.
My job now is to retire says Sonia Gandhi when asked in Parliament about what will be her role once @OfficeOfRG takes over as Congress President. pic.twitter.com/oImB90ZOGq
— Rahul Kanwal (@rahulkanwal) December 15, 2017
Even after the pathetic defeat in the 2014 general election, Sonia Gandhi didn’t lose the party president post. Soon, she had to face series of defeats but no one had dared to ask the resignation of Sonia Gandhi.
“The entire country has lots of expectations from Rahul Gandhi. Much before he was elected, he has shown his mettle. He knows his responsibility”, this was the statement made by senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad. His statement proves his loyalty to the Gandhi dynasty because nowhere Rahul Gandhi proved his mettle. Rahul Gandhi infact pushed the Congress party into deeper trouble.
It should also be noted that Sonia Gandhi is longest-serving president of the Congress party. Prior to her, Sitaram Kesri was the president.
Life of Sonia Gandhi was full of controversy!!!
- Sonia Gandhi’s father worked as a volunteer in Nazi Army.
- It was also alleged that Sonia’s mother Paola Maino used LTTE for money laundering.
- The Bofors money in which case Rajiv Gandhi got tangled went actually to Sonia’s close friend Ottavio Quattrocchi who used to make dealings in weapons for LTTE.
- “I’m more Sicilian (Italian) than Indian. Indians liked to be kicked.” This was what Sonia Gandhi had once said to Dr Subramanian Swamy, who was Rajiv Gandhi’s close friend.
- Dr Swamy responded to this saying “This is my last meeting with you. I’ll never meet you again. You told me you were more Sicilian than Indian. Now I will tell you what Sicilian is!”
- Sonia Gandhi had written a letter to the then PM Mr Manmohan Singh and ordered him to withdraw all the cases against the womaniser Tarun Tejpal and the funders of his “Tehelkar.com”.
Tomorrow, its party time for Rahul Gandhi!!!
Rahul coronation event is said to start around 11 in the morning. After which Rahul will meet leaders from across the country at the Congress headquarters on Akbar Road in Delhi, reported India Today.