India is going to be the most populous nation in the world in the next 7 years and China will be left far behind. This is the report by the Department of Economic and Social Affairs’ Population Division.
Few important points mentioned in the report:
- Presently India’s population is expected around 131 crores but India’s population is projected to continue growing for several decades to around 1.5 billion in 2030 and approaching 1.66 billion in 2050
- The report also says that India is a nation which has the highest number of youths. The 2011 census showed that 41 percent of India is below the age of 20 years. It is also predicted that presently half of India’s population is in the age group of 20-59 group.
- The report also said that India will have educated parents who will have formal educations.
- In 2011 the sex ratio was 940 women for every 1000 men. But this will change in the years to come. The report said that the population of men will decrease and will equal to that of women.
- It also said that fertility has been declining in nearly all regions in recent years.
- Indian population will see a decline after 2050 but still will hold the number one spot.
The population in Africa is growing rapidly and will have a major share in population within 2050 according to the report. The report was presented at a news conference by John Wilmoth, director of the Population Division. He also said that the population of Europe will decline in the next couple of decades.
“The 2017 Revision of World Population Prospects” is the 25th round of official UN population estimates and projections. In its 24th round of estimates released in 2015, it was projected that the population of India will surpass that of China’s by 2022.
It should be noted that in India 27 million children are born every year and only 16 million in China. India’s population has increased by more than 350 million, while China’s has increased only by 210 million in the past 20 years.
In India, life expectancy at birth will be 71 years in 2025-2030, growing to 74.2 years in 2045-2050. The under-five mortality rate will decline from 32.3 deaths under age five per 1,000 live births in 2025-2030 to 18.6 in 2045-2050.
The report said the current world population of 7.6 billion is expected to reach 8.6 billion in 2030, 9.8 billion in 2050 and 11.2 billion in 2100.
Previously it was said that India will go ahead of China in 2050 and be the most populous country in the world. But India will soon reach the spot of most populous nation. Some may say that unemployment may rise but government needs to treat the population as an asset and not a liability so that the human resource can be utilized effectively.