This 2019 Loksabha Election will be the most memorable one for first-time voters like me for various reasons. This time, there will be an estimated 8.1 crore first-time voters like me casting their votes. Of course, I’m very excited but at the same time, I keep reminding myself of the responsibility towards my nation by choosing the right person who will serve our nation and people unselfishly. Hence I will vote for Modi.
In the last five years, our nation went through lots of positive reforms. Thanks to Modi whose foresight, dedication and implementation made them possible. Let me share some that influenced me.
- More than 5 million toilets were built under Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan Scheme saving hundreds of thousands of women from embarrassment.
- High-quality health care services were made available to the poorest under the National Health Protection Scheme (NHPS).
- Weaker and marginalized sections of society were brought into the banking system under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) to receive full financial benefits, while completely eradicating corruption.
- Goods and Service Tax (GST) incorporated many different taxes into a single tax relieving both merchants and customers.
- Strong foreign policy was designed and executed in every crisis whether it was Doklam or in any terrorist attacks.
- Demonetization killed the backbone of various terrorist groups especially the Naxals and their supporters.
- Make in India scheme encouraged multinational companies to set up their manufacturing units and thus creating millions of jobs for people.
- Pradhan Mantri Aawaas Yojana (PMAY) enabled the people who were financially weak, to own a home.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan-Aushadhi Yojana enabled people to acquire quality medicines at affordable prices.
These reforms forced the world, especially the developed countries to see our nation under a different light. But, being a girl, what impressed me more were the schemes implemented for the empowerment of women across the nation. Some notable were –
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme has inspired people to support their daughters in education and marriage.
- Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) is designed to provide quality health and nutrition to pregnant and nursing mothers.
- Rashtriya Mahila Kosh (RMK) scheme provides micro-credit to poor women for various livelihood support and income-generating activities.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) protects the health of women and children by providing them with clean cooking fuel – LPG.
Also, several actions were taken to ensure the safety of women and children against commercial sexual exploitation by punishing the criminals severely. Triple talaq was abolished to protect Muslim women from injustice. Modi himself appointed eligible women as ministers to the key departments such as defence and foreign affairs instead of shouting women empowerment slogans. Women are now allowed to participate in combat operations.
In a few years, I’ll be graduating and preparing myself for the challenges that I may have to face in various stages of life. I want to live a successful life with dignity. For that, I need a solid platform and that is what Modi has been setting up for us. That’s why I’ll cast my first vote for Modi.